Back To Terms Beginning With c
College of Insurance
A higher-learning institution to obtain a degree in insurance, risk management, actuarial science, and financial services after completing a four-year program.
Insurance Industry News from ProgramBusiness.comTop Agencies for 2005
A record number of agencies submitted entries for the 2005 Top Independent Insurance Agencies listing in Insurance Journal, which was published in the May 9 edition of Insurance Journal's five regional print magazines.
Insurance Journal has also published an updated listing online that includes submissions received after the deadline for its print magazines.
"Every year the list gets better as more and more agencies participate," said Mark Wells, Insurance Journal publisher. "We plan on continuing to refine the criteria and categories every year."
The list of the nation's top retail agencies and brokerages, ranked by estimated property casualty premium volume, was developed using information submitted this year and in 2004 by firms as well as other public information on agencies and brokerages. The result is a glimpse at some of the nation's most successful retail insurance agencies and brokerages and their volume of business.
In addition to publishing information on the Top 100 in Insurance Journal's five regional print magazines on May 9, there is an updated and revised list that includes entries submitted after the publishing deadline on www.insurancejournal.com.
Making this year's Top 10 rankings were the following:
Rank/Agency Name/ 2004 P/C Premiums/Number of Employees/City and State/Web site -
1. Acordia Inc. $6 Billion 4500 Chicago Ill. www.acordia.com ;
2. BB&T Insurance Services $5 Billion 3200 Raleigh N.C. www.bbandt.com ;
3. Strategic Ind. Agents Alliance $3.5 Billion N/A Hampton N.H. www.siaa4u.net ;
4. Alliant Resources Group $1.3 Billion 737 Stamford Conn. www.alliantresourcesgroup.com ;
5. Palmer & Cay $1 Billion 950 Savannah Ga. www.palmercay.com ;
6. Brown & Brown Inc. $1 Billion 3517 Maitland Fla. www.bbinsurance.com ;
7. Commerce Insurance Services $800 Million N/A Cherry Hill N.J. www.commerceonline.com ;
8. Allied North America $600 Million 320 Jericho N.Y. www.alliedna.com ;
9. BWD Group LLC $600 Million 185 Jericho N.Y. www.bwd.us ;
10. Frenkel & Co. Inc.
About This Report: The information in this report has been garnered from voluntary online submissions from agencies and best estimates based on other public information sources. There are agencies that would be eligible for listing but for which no information was received or located. Also, submitted data was not independently verified. Insurance Journal thanks all those agents who were willing to share their information. The result is a glimpse at some of the nation's top independent insurance agencies and brokerages whose business volume is primarily retail, not wholesale. The more cooperation we receive, the more accurate and comprehensive this listing can be. Our aim is to improve the comprehensiveness and accuracy of this report every year.
<Click for the whole story...